Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Electrifying Bantam Milk

As I mentioned, we moved the bannies into a larger enclosure with tall grass and cockroaches. Technically this is in our backyard. We are hoping that with dog patrol, theft will drop. So far, so good.

We lined the top of the fence with hot wire. My middle child decided to test it out for us. He claims he fell.

We were in the house, just finishing up supper when the youngest ran back in the house yelling that his brother's hand was stuck. I looked out and there was our middle son screaming for help. My husband flew out the door and pulled him away from the fence. Now that fence isn't too hot, but he had managed to grab it just right so that the muscles in his hand convulsed and he was unable to let go. We loved on him and told him if this should happen in the future, to fall, it will pull his hands away fro the wire. Then my husband thanked him for testing the wire out for us.

He didn't have any damage to his hand, it was numb then tingled for awhile. Guess I am not the only one that has a thing with electricity.

Today I have some jam to make, and onions to pull, beans to pick and maturing carrots to watch carefully. oh, and I have too much milk! We are not going through it fast enough. Right now I have 5 gallons of milk in my fridge. I am making cheese without rennet right now. I should know by tomorrow how that turns out. But I think I might can some milk for winter. I still need to go out and milk this morning.

Do you have any recipes that take a lot of milk?

10 comments:

A. Brown said...

The only thing I can think of that would use a lot of milk is custards (quiche, bread pudding, etc.). We often make them without cream, just milk, and they turn out well anyway.

Billy said...

What about ice cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, butter, pudding? I'm just trying to think about the dairy section in the store.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say cheese (at least you can compost the whey?) -- simple stuff, like paneer -- or sounds like the perfect excuse for ice cream to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Ice cream and what about Kahulua and milk???? Seriously, I'm all for canning it if all else fails.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to know that I have included you in my favorite blogs to read and awarded you the "just plain fun to read" award.

You can read the post here: http://joysvictorygarden.blogspot.com/2008/07/just-plain-fun-to-read-blogs-worth-your.html

Thanks for your wonderful blog!

Joy

FancyHorse said...

My husband's great aunt used to cook all her veggies in milk instead of water. They must have had a similar problem to yours.

Congratulations of the "Just plain fun to read" award! I agree!

The Unusual Farmchick said...

Cheesecake!Make the cream cheese or farmers cheese recipe.Top with those wild black raspberries.
I believe you can freeze the cheesecake. I am making one today for tomorrow's skeet shooting party.
Who doesnt like cheesecake? Would make great gifts for neighbors and friends.

Anonymous said...

pudding, ice cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, butter, buttermilk pancakes, milk bread, milk at every meal, smoothies, freeze some for later,

Phelan said...

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Joy, I am honnored, thank you!

Fancyhorse, um....um...wow you got me speechless. But you also gave me an idea, cream of some such veggie soups! You and your husband's aunt rocks!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... pancakes, some muffins and cakes(which you can freeze), oatmeal (put equal amounts oats and water and half milk). another is queen's pudding (eggs, bread crumbs, milk- even if it's going off, a smidge of sugar and jam), eggnog, custard pie, homemade mac n cheese, cheese sauce

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...