Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I Know an Ol' Lady Who Swallowed a Fly

It was in my coffee, I don't know why. I guess I'll die. ( I got it out before it ended up in my mouth)

Speaking of food,

For those of you watching my sidebar carefully, you might have noticed that some more canning was done yesterday.

2 pints of Green Beans
wash, snapped and processed at 10 pounds for 25 minutes.

1/2 pint of Dragon tongue
(same as the green beans)

and 5 pints of baby carrots.
peeled sliced and processed in a raw pack then in the pressure canner for 30 minutes.

I have also done some more research. I have been told for a long as I can remember that you can not have pigs in this county. With a little digging, I found that you can, only that the pigs have to be 500 feet from the neighbors house. In this county there are very few properties left that you have that much distance between homes, but we do. hmmm. . .

5 comments:

Gina said...

Wish I was closer, I would GIVE you my two pigs. They are driving me crazy. They knocked a gate off the pasture and let the sheep out, they constantly wander off to the road (and we get calls) and they are rooting up my flower/herb beds by the house (of course, only when I am away!!)

They do provide a very quick, easy to raise source of meat though!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I really hope you do get pigs.....I really hope I get pigs someday too.....but that's a whole new can o' worms! :)

TexasWren said...

Honestly, take it from an old hog farmer..um, pork producer, think long and hard before you add hogs.
If you plan to get a boar and raise litters, you need to know that they are very, very labor intensive. And very, very destructive. A good rule of thumb is that for every pen you think you need (1 for the boar, 1 for the sow and babies), double it, because you will always need someplace to put them while you repair the pen they just destroyed.

Sows with babies can be very dangerous---your boys need to know that. I once had a sow jump over--not tear down--jump over a 4' fence and come after me when I pulled one of her piglets out when we were weaning. Thank goodness I was young then and fast enough to get to the barn and slam the door before she got me. Also, they will eat your chickens if they are stupid enough to get into the pen.

They are also very hard on your land. Ours made wallows that were still there 15 years later.

I loved my pigs, honestly, they are the funniest creatures I"ve ever raised. But, I had no job, no children, and I'm very, very good at building/repairing things.

Tom said...

All your canning is making us jealous. Apparently we planted our garden late again this year. I've just this week started harvesting cucumbers and squash. Green beans, tomatoes, okra... are weeks away.
What the heck is dragon tongue?

Phelan said...

Gina, I wish I was closer too, and not because of the pigs. Just remember that butchering time is right around the corner and it will all be worth it.

Farm mom, we will see about getting pigs.

Wren, no, I told plan on raising them. It would just be a weaned to butcher type of thing. My ol' man was giggling about picturing you being chased by a pig.

Tom, I still don't have cucumbers or squash, beans and tomatoes are going nuts. Just waiting for the tomatoes to change color. My neighbor across the way has melon, squash and all that, but not beans. I think it is the soil and the type of seed used.

Dragon's tongue is a long bean that is white and purple. As soon as I can find my battery charger, I will get you photos.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...