Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SOME WE LOVE, SOME WE HATE, SOME WE EAT

SOME WE LOVE, SOME WE HATE, SOME WE EAT by Hal Herzog

I was skeptical when I first received this book. The reviews say things like this will change the way you think about animals. I really thought this would be yet another book about why we shouldn't eat meat and why animals should have lawyers. How wrong I was!

The text can be dry at times, as he does approach things as a scientist, but there is relatable humor and dilemma's through out it. 

But it didn't change my perception of living with and eating animals. And I believe that is because of the relationship I already have with all my animals, livestock and working animals. (however I had no idea how well treated fighting roosters are, and agree with the author that I would rather be a fighting rooster than a factory fryer).

I highly suggest reading this book, even if you think that you relationship with animals is a good one. Many ideas and dilemmas that we consciously and subconsciously  think about are debated and explored through-out these pages. 

He didn't explore the relationship with homesteaders and animals as much as he could have, I think we have a healthier view than the public at large when it comes to treating are livestock similar to our "pets". 

Two thumbs up.

You can read more reviews (better ones probably) at the TLC Book Tour







1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Glad to hear your take on the book, as I'm reviewing it myself in a couple of weeks. I'm curious to read what he's got to say, having been a vegan/vegetarian for years, and now firmly back in the carnivorous camp. I'm not quite to the point of raising my own meat, but maybe I'll get there one day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...