Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sad news

The little brown kid didn't make it.

We had the same problem last time, Patch smothers one of them. It's always difficult when you lose a little one, no matter what the plans for that ones future may be. It is the hardest part of homesteading.

We are taking steps with the white one, and any future kids to prevent her from doing this (purposely or accidentally) again.

Betty should be having her wee ones soon. Or one, I am not sure how many to expect as this is her first birthing. I'm just hoping they are not all boys.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear that, it is always sad to lose one but it is definitely part of this life we chose. I am hoping for does from my girl too. Happy Sunday!!

Unknown said...

Yes agreed, this is the hardest part of homesteading. While I am just starting out again we did rent a farm in the UP of Michigan and the week the goats were due was a roller coaster of emotions from delighted to heart wrenching when we lost a doe and her triplets in child birth. Never Never easy but the happy days are soooooooooo worth it!

HermitJim said...

So sorry to hear this news, my friend! Hope the other one survives just fine, with no problems...

Felinae said...

I'm sorry to hear this Phelan. :(

The Craftivist said...

I'm sorry too. It's definately not an easy part of the process.

John Milandred said...

I am sorry. Are bunners has some baby's and they let 4 die today. I was so sad I even saved one for about an hour but no luck.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Phelan,
Sorry for your loss, that's the part of homesteading I don't like.
It seems especially hard when you only have a few animals that will birth and count on those births more so than a larger farmer/rancher. When we lost our Jersey cows heifer two years ago it was very sad as well as a loss of future meat or dairy for our family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...