Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

And Right is Home

Both the tractor and rototiller are out of commission as of this morning. The belt broke on the tiller, while gas isn't getting through on the tractor. Husband wasn't having a good day yesterday, and stopped work on the tractor before he started yelling. He went and worked on a motorcycle. And even that didn't seem to improve his day.

We went over to get hay, the man offered a barter for the remaining hay. Husband fixes his tractor and the few bales left were ours. I left to go to a Parent Teachers conference, and when I returned, my husband and the hay man now have a deal. Husband will help him work the fields for a very good hourly wage. My husband will be very tired, but he accepted the deal.

I have a feeling we will not be able to plant next week. The weather seems to be staying rather cool, too cool to put out tender seedlings that thrive in heat. If it is like last summer, many plants will not produce and those that do will do so poorly. I actually had to turn the heater on this morning. Not normal, usually we are feeling 80F by now.

Sammy is an interesting character. She bit me. Not too hard, but enough. I checked and made sure everything was ok with her saddle, as she bit me as I was trying to mount. I tighten some things up and managed to get on her. She is super curious. When we walk she looks around, and stares. It looks like we are walking sideways the way her head turns to look. We would not have passed a sobriety test, the way she swerves. At one point I had to use my mom voice, and she snapped back to attention. I also discovered that she is spooky with cars. But not so bad that anyone will get hurt.

I am itching to get things done, to do new projects. I am hesitant to start anything here, but it is too wet to make it to the farmstead. Maybe this weekend t will be dry, and then I will have something interesting to talk about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your itchies - sooo ready to plant and my indoor seedlings are getting long and lanky - not good. *sighs* Too cool and wet to put anything in. On a good note, the potatoes and onions seem happy along with radishes,carrots, and lettuces.

ChristyACB said...

The weather is still whacky here too, but at this time it is at least whacky in a way that will help me in the garden.

Of course, now that I've said that....

HermitJim said...

Sorry to hear that the weather isn't being co-operative as of late. I can't complain about here, except that the mosquitoes seem to be out in force already!

The nephews garden is furnishing lettuce, tomatoes, onions, beans, squash and garlic already. Makes for a very nice salad, so he says.

Hey, glad that Sammy knows to listen to the mom voice! Shows a bit of "horse sense" (sorry about that!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...