Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Monday, August 25, 2008

A Shocking Purple

I finished the peaches this weekend. Made 3 pies.

Saturday I went to my mother's house. It was my youngest brother's birthday and I went earlier to get some more of those grapes done. Mom and I got into position, and started processing. I placed the pureed grapes in a pot on the stove, then leaned over touching the stove, to turn on the burner. Some of you may remember that I have accused my mother of trying to kill me in the pas. Well Saturday she made yet another attempt. As I touched the stove I got a 100 volts through my hand, into my arm, stopping at my spine. How do I know it was 100 volts? Because after I was done doing the Phelan ritual dance of I've been shocked! My step father broke out his voltage meter. I think I am done with electricity at this point. How many time now? 3?

Mom called a friend in, he is an electrician. He found some future problems and fixed those, but was unable to discover what exactly was wrong with the coil. They left that one burner disconnected. Sure, that made me feel lots better about touching it.

11 comments:

The Fool said...

Ouch! Intermittent problems are always the worst...it's never fun wondering when the next happening will occur. Should we send rubber gloves? Hang in, kiddo.

Woolysheep said...

Been there 3 times myself. 1st time was at the drive in movie in Granbury, Texas. I was leaning on a metal railing and swung my hand in a gesture while talking and it touched the popcorn popper. The shock went up my arm and then branched up to the back of my head and down my spine to my right kidney and out my right foot. 2nd time was a friend's rewired vacuum cleaner. The third time was an ungrounded ham radio set. Get feeling better and see if you can convince your mom to convert to gas or wood. Or perhaps a solar oven.

Kathie said...

Ouch! Oy, take care of you.

MeadowLark said...

HOLY COW!
Be careful, that sounds painful.

Annette said...

Too amazingly funny! I am not laughing at you - with you is more like it. =P I used to get shocked often when I hung wallpaper for my mom's business. Perhaps our mothers are trying to tell us something??? =)
I love your blog.

abbagirl74 said...

Owie! Glad you are okay.

Ginnie said...

Be careful, girl! You have a lot of people counting on you! (To say nothing of those of us in blogland who need your wit and wisdom.)

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

Isn't there an X-men character named after you? 100 volts? That less than a outlet you got more when you touched the water that was touching the electric fence....I'll come up with a name...

Phelan said...

Tim, I told my mother that it wasn't as bad as the water one. That one still takes my breath away when I think about it.

I'm looking forward to the name.

Gina said...

Yikes! I once touched an electric fence and I still remember the feeling. I can't imagine these volts you keep getting!

Anonymous said...

I once got shocked by my stove too. I thought it was the stove so I gave it away. Later a house inspecter found out our house was not grounded! That was the problem, not the stove. See if your house is properly grounded.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...