Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What have I created?

My middle child has finally decided what he wants to be when he grows up, and here I am looking at 30 and still don't know that one. He wants to be the horse whisperer. I would say that the decision is a great one for a 6 year old that doesn't have a horse. But we do have a neighbor with 4, and the know how. He is willing to take the boy under his wing and teach him. I just need to swallow that mama paranoia and be happy for him.

I did suck it up, and broached the subject with the neighbor. My middle child has been talking about this for days, but hasn't got up the nerve to ask the neighbor. So I did it for him. Our neighbor was pleasantly surprised. All his boys have grown and gone on into the military. He was happy to teach my son everything. Today, after school, they will begin. I am hopeful that this interest lasts. If he sticks with it, he will be very knowledgeable later in life and able to make a go at doing what he loves for a living. Keep your fingers crossed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting for him! Learning to care for horses is an important experience that will be good for him even if he doesn't become a "horse whisperer."

Anita said...

Sounds wonderful... My son usually says he wants to be a farmer...

Mysti said...

Terrific! This is going to be a great learning experience. It helps to build compassion for other living things and that's always a plus.

Stephanie Appleton said...

That is wonderful!

Parlancheq said...

Intersting. I thought all little boys wanted to be firemen or cowboys when they grew up. :)

lisa said...

Having him take lessons is a great idea...it'll give him a chance to see what horses are really like, and confirm his interest. My parents had me take lessons after I begged them for a horse from age 6 til' 12 when I got started learning. I think they'd hoped I would lose interest, but the lessons cemented it for me. They relented and bought me a horse of my own, and I gotta say that riding and being in 4-H with that horse was the best part of my childhood, bar none! As a mother, I understand your fears...when I bought my son a horse, I got the slowest, oldest mare I could find! She was 20, and used for western pleasure classes, where slow is good! She loved him, too...never acted up when he was riding her (different story for MY rides, though! ;-)

Unknown said...

Gene Logsden's "you can come home" is a book about every stage he went through on the homesteading front, it's an over veiw. he has other great books to help urban and rural homesteaders. He can bridge the money vs land gap because he did both. good reads 1/2 acre wannabe 25

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...