Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm trapped!

Some of you know by now that yesterday around 9:15am there was a explosion in the small town I live close to. Barton Solvent Plant exploded, causing the evacuation and shut down of the entire town.

I didn't hear anything, but when I saw it on the news I walked out to see what I could. Lots of smoke. Lucky for us the wind was going NE and I live NW of the town. We were not forced to leave. A good thing as my husband had the trucks and I wouldn't have been able to transport our animals.

They claimed that there was no health issues involved with all the smoke, yet they evacuated and told those that were in the path of the smoke to stay indoors, bring in pets, turn off the air conditioners, and duct tape doors and windows. hhhmmm. . .

This morning I needed to go into Wichita, and discovered that I can not. The road we normally take is shut down. I have no idea why. But there was many cops and big trucks. Another road we take is also shut down, and the way through the blown up down of Valley Center is also shut down. I had to head north to get to a store, took me an hour.

My husband was on a bike {motorcycle} near the plant when it exploded. He is fine, and will not be going into work today, because there is no way out of here. Looks like a nice day at home doing some work.

Thank you for those that were concerned, we are well and safe.




Click on photo to read more about what happened in the Wichita Eagle.

7 comments:

Mysti said...

Holy Cow! Glad everyone is alright. The liars-that-be are ALWAYS claiming no health risk. I find it an absurd claim and frankly..quite insulting to ones intelligence.

Faren said...

Wow, I had no idea...how bad is it that I get my news from blogs? I'm only an hour away from you! I should know about this! Well, glad you and yours are safe from this. Be Careful!

Anonymous said...

I was worried about you. I'm glad you are all okay and I hope you continue to stay out of the smoke.

Gina said...

Glad you are safe. I hope they clean up the mess ASAP!

The photo is incredible!

Wendy said...

Gaw! That's pretty freakin' scary. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Anonymous said...

Thank god nothing happened to you. My Dad also had a scare too. He worked only 2 blocks away from the New York City steam explosion.

Off topic - Your blogathon is the same day as my birthday.

Jenny said...

I saw the news and thought you must be close by. I am glad that you and your family are safe and that the explosion wasn't as bad as it could have been! Stay safe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...