Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Sacrificing the Scarecrow

I have received so many wonderful emails and comments about this move. One email in particular brought tears to my eyes.

She is where I was only a few weeks ago. I watched Husband stumble through the house in the mornings because of his lingering injuries, coupled with the grinding down of his knee as he spent 40 plus minutes a days pushing motorcycle in and out just so he could Do his job. He rarely complains, but I have known him long enough to see when he hurts.

The email had her asking herself if this was all they had in life. It made me sad to read those words. We get sucked into the world of responsible adults, and even if we yearn for something different, society makes sure we aren't allowed to do it.

It is difficult to pull from it. I firmly believe that our parents told us to follow our dreams so that maybe we could escape the doldrum and be happy. I wish I would have listened.

I digress, I thought it be best to talk about what we are dealing with. I express my enthusiasm, but neglecting the other things. If you are contemplating dropping everything and taking off, huzzah! But remember it really isn't that easy.

Our funds have been exhausted due to the wreck. Husband received one days worth of pay. We are working with no money. I don't suggest doing that, but this is what life has handed us.

Two weeks ago, we were looking at properties close to the Neophyte Homestead, and some further away, yet still in Kansas. Two properties were gorgeous, but with the beginning farmer program not being what it sounds like it is, we decided to stay in the area. Husband's boss had no reason to be concerned about us moving, but people hear what they want. Shrug.

I jokingly said to Husband, you want to move to Kentucky? I have family there.

I do have family there, right along the Green River where my mother was born. I also have family across the river in Indiana.

Not five minutes later I get a message from Small Farm Girl. "You want to move to Kentucky? Lol" All I could do for a few moments was stare at the message. This was weird. I told SFG that I might be interested, and asked why. And then it happened, owner carry financing, a creek and cave and more trees than in all of the State of Kansas. Husband and I got excited. If nothing else, we could retire there. But the plan was to take our time to build a homestead there. Instead, two days after we started talking about Kentucky, Husband was out of work. Plans changed quickly.

We did try to come up with reasons to stay. We love our family. But my dad came from Panama, and my mother started her journey in Kentucky. My two younger brothers live hours away. My family made individual journeys, they would understand. Husband's family came from Denver, they too would understand. Friends. . . I adore the few friends I have here, and if they were making this decision, I would be sad, but would support them. Besides, there is Skype and emails.

Work. Well I can work from anywhere in the world. Husband has connections, and many job offers in other States, some are long standing offers. Husband is also a jack of all trades. He has never shied away from hard work. However he has made some recent choices to not work for anyone else, at least full time.

In a way it is hard to leave the Neophyte Homestead. It is all that Medium and Small have ever known. But these last two years, I have not felt like the uber-homesteader that Catherine recently called me. The drought has sucked the life out of us. Covered wagons did, sometimes, head back east. A recent trip to a salvage yard drove the horror home. Large combines, rows and rows of relatively new farm implements lined the yard. Our farmers are losing everything.

And as I said in a previous post, we have to spread our arms and just fall. Or we have a very good chance of crashing and burning here. Husband and I ran into someone we knew, he too was out of work. It looks like all the talented and high priced techs in the area have lost their jobs. So many kids, willing to work for less are flooding the area. Unfortunately the school only teaches newer model repairs. The guys that know what a carburetor is are being pushed aside by those that have only seen them in glancing. Luckily there are shops in other parts of the world that want the old school techs. It might seem like I am going off topic, but this is all part of our decision.

We got lucky, or maybe it was fated. Either way, we were given a second chance at this life. Something Husband and I have never really gotten. We tend not to get the help that we give to others.

The next morning, after the job loss, we were able to sell enough things to keep us alive and the deposit to hold the land. We are selling things that if we were staying in the State we would keep. But this is a very long drive to move so much stuff. We are sacrificing Christmas for the boys with this move. We did sit them down and discussed it all. They are fine with getting few things this year to be able to have a cave, a tree house and zip lines in the future. I am proud of those three.

We now live below our means in such a way that to an outsider it might be alarming. But we have food, we have warmth, we have water and electricity. We have what we need, not what the world at large thinks we need. No perks. We will live on basics for now.

Sometimes I get upset about the things being sold. But it is for our betterment. This time period will be trying, we are well aware of that. We also know there is a chance that we will lose everything. But this risk is worth it, if things improve.

Laughter fills the sky instead of rain. . .







19 comments:

johnnyb said...

You gotta do what you gotta do. There seems to always be a reason for everything. It may not be evident right away, but will show up in time. Our prayers are with you. You are strong people and things will come around. Keep the faith.

Phelan said...

Will do John!

I should amend one statement, we do have one perk, we decided to keep Internet. It is cheaper for now to keep it than to break the contract.

Michelle said...

You have a very positive outlook on what life has handed you. Good luck with your new adventure!

bbarna said...

Hi Phelan, my life has been filled with little adventures, and I would say most have worked out fine.
When I graduated from high school, my boyfriend and I took a leap and moved 3,000kms in a VW Beetle with a few boxes of stuff and a two person tent. The job he thought was 'in the bag' was not actually offered right away, and we sat for three weeks in the tent in pouring rain....Later we broke up, and I met my husband (35 yrs now) in the little town that we moved to. Fate?
I like to think so.
Take care
Barb from Canada

small farm girl said...

If it makes you feel any better, I think I need you to come here also. I need some adventure in my life. I'm in a rut, and from the sound of it, we are going to stir some things up around here when you guys come. I really am glad you decided to move. :)
Your friend,
Shirley. :D

HermitJim said...

If nothing else, think of what an adventure is facing the boys! Living in a wild place with oddles of imaginary possibilities!

I think you and the hubby are doing the right thing for your family!

Anything we can do to help, just let us know!

CoolChange©© said...

I'm sure it will work out for y'all. For sure, you have a whole lot of back up out here, if it's needed.

Donna. W said...

Any time Cliff and I decided to embark on such an adventure as yours, I would always ask myself, "What's the worst thing that could happen with this?"
It took the fear out of any endeavor, because as long as it wasn't going to kill us or separate us, we knew we could survive. We're still here!

Anonymous said...

Are you really moving to Kentucky!?? I am just across the creek in Indiana, if you are ever if southern IN you MUST let me know! Your boys are so sweet, my step-children would never be that amazing. Hubby is unemployed and they still expect abundant commercialized Christmas. I digress.... I am proud of you, proud of your boys and decidedly excited that you'll be in my neck of the woods. Sorta. Ok not really, but closer than Kansas. Sheesh listen to me go on on on. Congrats, be brave and hug your small men for that is what they are!

Phelan said...

You all make me feel better about this. So glad to hear your own stories have worked out.

I have family in Indiana, so maybe I will be a visiting. :)

Donna said...

Your optimism is great,good for you!
It sounds like this adventure is going to be fabulous,and the key is that everyone is banding together to make it happen.

Keep you in my thoughts,Donna

FancyHorse said...

You have each other, you have love, you have taught your sons the true values of life, you have a positive, expectant outlook on the whole adventure -- I am sure you will do well! Good luck, and hugs to all of you!

jules said...

What FancyHorse said. Gosh Phelan, it sounds like the door of opportunity just opened at your house. Jump, fall, however you can, get yourself across that threshhold! It sure sounds like providence is shining down on you. Struggles are ahead, but you guys sound like you're ready for them. How exciting for you all! And how wonderful for your whole family, all these new experiences and adventures.

Coffeekittie said...

Well, hi again, been a very very long time since I've been on here. Maybe 2 years? What a lot has happened over that time, for your family and for me personally....

What a huge move for you. A brave and (I believe) smart move. If anyone can make this change work, it is you and your family. I have my head own a little straighter these days and hopefully will keep up with your new adventures. I admire all you can do, and wish you all the luck and good wishes in the world.
parker

Ann said...

Sometimes, we don't need to question why things happen to appear...we just need to flow with it. Our journey toward acquiring a homestead in its infancy. We're on a 5 year plan to land somewhere, anywhere, other than where we are. I love reading about your experiences and challenges and appreciate your honesty and openness about real life homesteading. Our whole mindset has been changing for the last 5 years, and we've turned ourselves into some pretty self-sufficient 'burb dwellers. Quite proud of us, if I do say so. We know so many folks who are "coming around" to our way of thinking, and still more are curious about exactly what it is that we have planned. Life sometimes throws us that curve ball and smacks us in the teeth with it to make us remember how strong we are, awaken that sleeping giant in all of us, step outside of society's box and say "Why the heck are we doing THIS, when we want to do THIS?"
I know in my heart you all are going to land on your feet no matter where you end up. The love that your family shares is genuine, and it is apparent that you're all a team. That can make even the "worst" situation or change work itself out a lot sooner.
I'll keep you guys in my thoughts. Take care!

Ann said...

Sometimes, we don't need to question why things happen to appear...we just need to flow with it. Our journey toward acquiring a homestead in its infancy. We're on a 5 year plan to land somewhere, anywhere, other than where we are. I love reading about your experiences and challenges and appreciate your honesty and openness about real life homesteading. Our whole mindset has been changing for the last 5 years, and we've turned ourselves into some pretty self-sufficient 'burb dwellers. Quite proud of us, if I do say so. We know so many folks who are "coming around" to our way of thinking, and still more are curious about exactly what it is that we have planned. Life sometimes throws us that curve ball and smacks us in the teeth with it to make us remember how strong we are, awaken that sleeping giant in all of us, step outside of society's box and say "Why the heck are we doing THIS, when we want to do THIS?"
I know in my heart you all are going to land on your feet no matter where you end up. The love that your family shares is genuine, and it is apparent that you're all a team. That can make even the "worst" situation or change work itself out a lot sooner.
I'll keep you guys in my thoughts. Take care!

West Tx at Heart said...

Personaly, It seems like the absoluetly right choice. The land looks lush and beautiful. You seemed to be facing a fork. Your Husband has an opportunity to work for himself. (worth its weight in gold) I think the things you let go will only fund the future. Now your going give the WHOLE family a fresh start. I personaly think its an awesome choice and again I applaud your boldness as a family. How exciting for the boys too!

Diane C said...

I absolutely agree with the comments. Life's path needs to be flexible to work.

After 30 years of stability, my life changed drastically for the better. My dog loves our new digs and I have ample space to garden.

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Phelan,

First...congrats on being able to happy dance now (or mostly)! I've been following along but haven't posted anything, though I should have.

Second...this post is us. Tanker and I got to talking the other day about moving back "home." I'm from here in MO, he's from KY. I do fine without family around, him not so much. We haven't yet bought the place we're at now...the more time drags on and the more things pop up (wrong things) with the place, the more it looks like buying this one will be more grief than joy.

Rambling craziness cut short: We're likely to be heading that way next year as well. Oh and throwing our arms up to fall and land where we may is our specialty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...