Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me

I had a difficult time last night getting to bed. I just laid here staring at things.

Thanksgiving gets smaller here every year. With my 2 little brothers living so far away, and my grandmother and my father passing, it is just us 5 and Hooter. And then Hooter up and tells me he might be going somewhere else for Thanksgiving! It's ok though, I am glad he has some other friends besides Husband and I. (for all my new readers, Hooter and I have been good friends to the point of family status for almost 20 years.)

 But he isn't why I couldn't sleep, he was just one of many thoughts.  The 4 1/2 hour drive to go get hay (once we find a hauler) is what was keeping me up. That and the up coming butcher of mamma.  You can imagine the kind of google hits I get because of how I phrase things. I have even seen the search "How to butcher woman" come up before. I was a bit creeped out.

I digress.

Carol Anne over on on Soap boxville  mentioned a title of a book called "No one cares what you had for lunch" along with pics of her really cool goth doll collection. The title made me giggle. But as many hits as I get on my recipes, I would say some people are indeed interested in what we are eating here.Or at least canning.

So I have been planning out my Thanksgiving menu. Holidays give me a chance to only cook. I do a few basic chores in the morning, then the men in my life take over the duties so that I can have the rest of the morning to cook. We usually eat by 3 pm. Even with the 5 of us, we have lots of food, most the time I only use what we have on hand. Rarely do I run to the store to purchase items. Of course leftovers never last long. I do have 3 growing boys.

This year is a bit difficult. Hardly any veggies or fruits to choose from in my pantry. I have a few apples and pears, and several jars of peaches from last year. 1 small jar of corn, no green beans, but I do have potatoes. My pumpkin and flour guys had little for me this year, and I have no milk or butter. So I need to be very creative. How do you make a Thanksgiving meal with little on hand?

Edited: I know exactly how to make a Thanksgiving meal with little on hand. The above statement sounds a bit pompous, not at all what I had in mind.  I have had famine years before, worse than this one. I have had to barter skills for food before, as has husband. And I have gone hungry on Thanksgiving before as well.

I am still trying to figure this out.  Whatever it ends up being like, I will still be thankful.

4 comments:

johnnyb said...

You will do fine. I'm sure that you can do a lot with a little. Enjoy your posts. From a fellow Kansan, have a good one and God Bless.

HermitJim said...

Being a country woman, I'll bet you could feed an army with what's on hand if you had to! Just put some more water in the soup and run down the ol' red rooster!

All joking aside, I do hope that you and the family have a great week and that the weather plays nice for ya!

Phelan said...

Thanks guys. I am sure I can pull it off. The Thanksgiving, though it seemed to play a major roll in the post, is just a side thought. A distraction from what is really worrying me. . . hay.

carol anne @ soapboxville said...

*laughs* Thanks for the mention.


One of the things I admire most about my own mother is her ability to open a rather empty fridge and cabinets and somehow make a yummy dinner.


I can't wait to read all about your Thanksgiving dinner. (little known fact: I actually don't like turkey)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...