Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Week One

We have had slow process with Murrial this week. She isn't as brazen as my Dexter's, and this will take longer. But I do have a full month before she's due to give birth. I will take my time.


When she first arrived she wouldn't have anything to do with me. She wanted to be out in the field so badly. I don't blame her, that is what she is use to. The first two days she would pace the back of the corral, nervous about my presence. Now she stands up and watches me, her ears perked in curiosity. She knows that I have the treats now.

Murrial doesn't like the barn, wants little to do with it. I move the treat bucket closer to it everyday. I didn't see the set up of where she came from, but I don't believe she had anything to do with a building, at least for not anything pleasant.

Murrial is now at the point, that she will eat her treats with me standing there. But, I have to be on the other side of the fence, at least 2 feet away, and one of my other ladies has to be present. My gals could care a flying kick about the new girl, except Mama. Now this is funny. My bully of a cow, the one that likes to threaten me, and push around all the other cows, has been sucking up to me. Since I have been paying so much attention to Murrial, Mama has been allowing me to scratch her, and she is eating out of my hand without the head shake. She is a changed woman I tell you. (she wants more treats)

Where was I? Oh yes, Murrial allowing me near her. While she is eating she keeps one of those huge eyes on me at all time, but if I am smooth in my movements, I can get next to the fence and lay my hand on it. Yesterday I carefully scratched her head. She took it for a moment, lifted her head and sniffed me before taking a step back. This is real progress. She is learning that I am the one with the tasty treats, and after a time, when she is ready and desperate, she will put up with me. After the putting up with, she should accept me as a calf, and milking can commence.

And it is so odd having a cow with a light pink tongue. I am so use to the black of my gals.

The Good Neighbor came over the other day. Did I mention that his Boer Kidded twins? They are adorable. Good Neighbor told me that he may not be a cattle man, but Murrial was one good looking cow. And I couldn't agree more.

5 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I'm glad she is warming up to you!

ChristyACB said...

You're so patient! I envy you that and the experience with large animals you have.

Glad it made your bully cow think twice too!

HermitJim said...

You just have that firm but gentle touch that animals seem to pick up on...and that's a good thing.

Keep up the good work!

Melissa ~ Mom to 6 said...

You ARE the cow whisperer!

April Bourgois said...

I just love reading how gentle you are with your animals. I'm amazed that a field animal can be brought around so quickly. More power to you!

Animal jealousy is one of the great secrets of integrating them. I hope Bossy Mama decides nice gets her more good stuff and continues that way for you!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...