Yesterday was my husband's day off. There is a few things that need to get done here on the homestead. First was the nasty leak under the kitchen sink. We took the bike to the farm store and found nothing we needed, so off to the local hardware store. Luckily they had everything and we didn't have to ride into the city. We had to replace 1 foot of pipe and some fittings. Now that that has been replace, we have to replace were the floor rotted out.
Second on the list was building a new banny coop. No photo, so here is an artist rendition.
As you can clearly see, it is an old garage shelving unit. Rather stout. We removed the middle shelf, and placed a thin roost down the back side. We made 3 nesting boxes as well. Next was to secure a front to the box. We cut the removed shelf in half and screwed it to the top front. The other half of the shelf was cut so that there is a banny friendly size opening on the lower bottom. This piece was secured with screws and an old cloth tie down. The tie down is used in lieu of hinges, now it can be accessed through this lower panel for cleaning and egg gathering. Next we attached some old 2x4's to act as legs, then re-enforced those by making another skeleton of a box. Had the boys fill in with straw, and then gave them a flashlight to find the roosting bannies.
We spent $0 on it, as all the materials were things that people gave to use. And trust me, it is oh so much better then that quickly box a made a few months back.