Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pizza the Hut was found dead earlier today in the back seat of his stretched limo.

This is for 1 pizza. It doubles easily.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon fennel seed

  • Using a large skillet, melt the butter with the oil. Add onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.
  • Add tomato sauce and paste, stir until smooth.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer.
  • Simmer for 30 minutes.
  • Remove the bay leaf and pour into your sterile jars. Process in a food bath for 40 minutes.

For those with simpler tastes

28 oz crushed tomato

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil

2 large garlic gloves, minced

salt and ground black pepper to taste

Mix all together and set aside for a few hours. Pour into a sterile jar and process for 40 minutes in a hot water bath.

These recipes are for 1 pizza. I did it this way because pizza making is not a necessity on a homestead, but having premade sauce on hand sure makes things a lot easier some days. I am assuming that everyone knows how to make paste and plain sauce. If not, yell at me and I will be happy to tell you how to do it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your recipes. But wow - your pizzas must either be huge, or a lot saucier than mine. 8+ oz. of sauce for one pizza sounds like a lot to me. But then, I go for the really thin crust style. The fennel sounds wonderful in the sauce though. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks again.

-Kate

Brittney said...

Oh those both look really tasty!!

Jederah said...

Yeah this would be me yelling cuz I have no clue. Oh and I made the alfredo sauce but had a seal failure. I kinda passed out this morning so t has been sitting on the counter for 7 hours. Can I throw it in the fridge and use it tonight?

Phelan said...

Stephanie, yesma'am, eat it up.

FancyHorse said...

Phelan, would you please tell your mom that I like the new look of her blog, but I can't read it. It's all white, no entry nor place for comments. I don't know if it's my computer or not, but your blog is normal to me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

yes I would like to yell too! Can you give us some beginner instruction?! Pretty please!?

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

nice space balls reference.

Phelan said...

Fancyhorse, I had to refresh the screen to get it to pop up. A little frustrating. If that doesn't work for you let me know.

Tim, FINALLY! I was waiting for some one to say something :)

FancyHorse said...

I was able to read your mom's blog tonight. I think it was my computer. It was really, really slow the other day, and I couldn't get Flickr at all.

Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...