Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I see through corn colored glasses

Corn is beautiful. Until you have to spend hours processing it. Then it is the monster under the bed and you want to run screaming from it. Trust me when I say, running away screaming doesn't get the corn processed any quicker. Only causes the neighbors to talk about you a little bit more, and in harsher whispers.

The mineral oil on the silk trick did wonders for my corn this year. I have a sack full of gorgeously perfect corn in my freezer. However, the sneaky buggers went in through the side of a lot more of the corn. Organic growing can be a big old pain in the rear at times. My corn with the worm tracks through them must be cut away and the perfect kernels need to be canned. Oh what joy! I am just giddy with excitement, can you tell. Stupid silk that never seems to completely go away, fancy devices that are suppose to help things go easier, and back burning labor, even if you aren't doing any heavy lifting.

Corn is overrated.

I purchased a corn cutter. It is this yellow thing, with a metal band with one side serrated. This is suppose to make the work quicker and easier. But only if you want cream corn. The package doesn't tell you that one. What you need to do is pound a nail into a piece of wood, where the nail sticks out a few inches on the other side. Now jab your cob down onto that nail. This will help stabilize the corn. Now start creaming, by twisting the device back and forth. And try not to let the tears blur your vision as you see half of the kernel still stuck on the cob.

3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
3 1/2 cups room temp whole milk
3 cups corn
salt and ground white pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large pan, stir in flour. Add the milk slowly, stirring with whisk until completely blended, bring to a gentle roll and thicken. Add corn, simmer 3 minutes. salt and white pepper to taste.

Tomorrow? More corn.

7 comments:

It's me said...

I HATE (no, make that despise) creamed corn. I wonder if I'd feel differently if it were homemade? You've got me wondering.

I always swore that creamed peas on toast (one of my dad's favorites - gag) was some sort of punishment because my parents hated me.

They say it wasn't ;)

Phelan said...

Creamed corn on mashed potatoes rocks! Creamed peas, ugh. My S-I-L makes that every holiday season, and I know she doesn't like me.

Jederah said...

what is this mineral oil trick??? Im just getting ears and silks.

Phelan said...

When your silk comes in, pour mineral oil on your hand and cover the silk with it. The will help with any bug problems.

Stephanie Appleton said...

I'm seriously thinking that next year I will just plant enough corn to eat fresh. It takes up a lot of space for the yield compared to some other plants I'd like more of.

Anonymous said...

Last year when I canned corn, the smell drove me CRAZY. I was totally grossed out by the sweet, sweet, boiling smell after a while. [shudder]

Phelan said...

Stephanie, I can understand that.

Cheap, ugh, I know. But there are other ways to preserve corn. I will be going through a lot of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...