Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Friday, March 07, 2008

So That's Where it Comes From

In case you missed it yesterday, in all those other pictures, we got some milk from Mama!



MILK!

She will only tolerate it for so long, before kicking at my husband. I am not so good with the teat pulling. I could feel it going back up. She has one rather large teat, we were worried about Mastitis, but the people we bought her from were dairy farmers for 20 years, before retiring and doing beef. They didn't act like there was a problem, only that it was too big for the calf. When we pulled on it and saw milk, we were relived, none of the milk symptoms of mastitis was present. Mama doesn't act like it hurts when you grab it, it doesn't feel swollen. We were told to call them if we have any questions, or problems and when the calf is born. It turns out that these people are friends with my husband's grandmother, so we are trusting them.

5 comments:

Billy said...

I have never milked a cow before, or even been that close to one. I am definitely going to be out this spring. Will you let me try and milk her?

Phelan said...

Niether have I, until recently. We'll talk. Oh, I just sent you an email.

Donna. W said...

I'm good at milking cows, did it for years and will be again within a year, good Lord willing.

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

I've never hand milked a cow, I have always used the machines. My father in law has these huge hand from milking as a kid.

Celeste said...

It would be hot and hard if it has mastitis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...