Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Straining Fresh Cow's Milk

You must remember that I have yet to purchase a cow, I have done a lot of research preparing for the arrival of our Dexter's this spring.

From what I understand, you can use coffee filters to super strain the milk, it will be slow going however. Most of your local Farm Stores will carry the products needed for your cow milking needs, if not ask them. Your local extensions office is always your best resource to finding out the information required to keep your livestock, your family and your homestead healthy.

For those wishing to learn more about milking cows, I will send you off to Monica, over at Small Meadow Farms. Just tell her I sent you to pester her about more info.

I am processing pumpkins today {sorry feed readers) as I won't be on tomorrow, I will answer your questions and give you any how-to information I have today. So What's next?

3 comments:

Linda R. Moore said...

We have some coffee filters you could have if you needed 'em. They came with the RV. Don says he wants to try them as vaccuum cleaner filters first, though. Let me know.

deconstructingVenus said...

I have a milk goat and i milker her out into a mason jar with a coffee filter held in place with the mason ring. i was worried that the milk would come out too fast to be filtered and into the jar before the filter would overflow, but i never did have that problem. with a cow, though, where you are dealing with gallons of milk instead of cups, that could (maybe) happen. i just don't know. i saw a website a while back where a woman milked into a gallon can with a sterile pillowcase draped over it. she milked into that, then when she was done she simply lifted the cloth out and wrung it out. any contaminants were filtered through the cloth.

Phelan said...

Thank you linda, but I think we are fine on coffee filters. I probably won't use them for straining, but we shall see once I get the cows.

abba, thanks.

DCV, good to know. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...