Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Cold days ahead and warm breads in the oven

No one seemed to have an opinion about growing exotic fruits in a non exotic locale, however Rubyreader asks how likely it is that I will post my Banana Bread recipe. Since the forums where I first published it no longer exists, I would say it is very likely that you will get the recipe here.

I made 3 types yesterday, my two youngest boys were happy to help, and to taste it for poisons {as my 5 year old informed me. He is so thoughtful}.

We made Banana and chocolate, spiced Banana and Banana nut bread. I discovered that my oven is going out and that this camera doesn't like to auto focus inside of the house. As soon as I pulled the bread from the oven, my boys had began getting into it, no pictures of the loaves, sorry.

3 types of Banana bread

Basic Banana Bread

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 very ripe {soft and darkly speckled} medium bananas
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking conversions

Oven rack should be placed in the lower middle position and preheat to 350f {gas mark 4, 180c}. If using a regular loaf pan grease and flour the bottom only, if using non stick, do the sides as well.

Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.

Using a wooden spoon mash the wet ingredients together, then gently fold the wet mix into the dry until only just combined. Batter should be lumpy. Scrape into the loaf pan and bake 55 minutes or until a gold color and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow it to cool in the pan, resting on its side for 5 minutes before removing from pan and placing on a cooling wire rack.

To make it chocolate reduce sugar to 10 tablespoons and add a heaping ½ cup of your favorite chocolate pieces into the dry ingredients.

making bread
My wonderful 3 year old added more chocolate than needed.

For spiced and cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice into the dry ingredients, to taste. Or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon allspice

For nuts, add 1 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts to the dry ingredients.

We ended up with another 3 inches of snow yesterday.
another 3 inches
We are to stay below freezing for the next 7 days.

I know I said I was going to talk more about gardening this week, I think I got distracted.

Blogger is acting very strange, if you want to leave a reply but are unable to, feel free to e-mail me.

3 comments:

BarnGoddess_01 said...

that bread LOOKS delicious! yummm

I see KS got a lot of snow, we did in Oklahoma too

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting the recipe. I can't wait to try these!

Pamela said...

We have snow and cold up in MN too.
I am making the spiced banana bread today. when I make the chocolate banana bread I add mini chips to it--yumm!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...