Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Friday, October 06, 2006

Updates

A few weeks ago we put our chicks out into the nursery. They seem to be thriving, and are getting along just fine with everyone except the turkey.We do plan on keeping all these hens as layers, and not meat birds.



My volunteer pumpkin vine produced a total of 4 gourds.The first one I had made pumpkin butter from. Not sure yet what I will be doing with these. The USDA does not recommend canning pureed pumpkin, not just home canning but commercial canning as well. Pumpkin puree is too thick, and the heat is not always able to penetrate the center, increasing your chances of getting food poisoning. They suggest that you cut your pumpkin meat into cubes and then can them. {another reason to can your own}

On to the apples;

a total of 28 ½ lbs down

3 lbs were made into apple chips and dehydrated. And I use ½ lbs to make some apple muffins.
The recipe needs some work. As soon as I fix it, I will post the new, improved recipe.

Any questions, or need an update from something else I have posted in the past?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aweee! The little chicks look great, and so does that pan of apple muffins! *yummy*h

Stephanie Appleton said...

Are you planning a root cellar in the new house? (Is it a cellar if it is in an underground house?)

After starting my apples, I told my husband that I wanted a root cellar when we build. So I can just keep apples fresh. I haven't done nearly as many as you and I am already tired of apples! :)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, Yes, we are planning a root cellar. And yes it is still called a cellar. the difference is that we will be digging it into the gorund beside the house instead of under. I hope to be able to put in a few earth coolers as well, not only to keep apples, but sweet onions.

BurdockBoy said...

I just stumbled upon your blog-it's grand.

I really wanted to dehydrate my apple abundance this year, but I don't have a dehydrator and I haven't found the time to build my own. Oh well, maybe next year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...