Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Fall comes too soon.

Swing season has begun. We have had the house open the past few days to allow the fresh crisp morning air invade our indoor life. As much as I enjoy the cooler days, it causes concern for my crops. Not enough has been harvested yet. I can only plead with the fates that there will be no hard freezes for the next month. Maybe this is only a freak swing, and we will see our normal triple digit temperatures by the weekend.

The plus side is that we have seen more rain in the month of August this year, then any of the other years I can remember. The drought is almost over. That helps with our orchard. But I fear the cooler temperatures will force early harvest of my winter squash, peanuts, and sweet potatoes. I watch the weather reports with a heavy heart.

Another problem with an early swing season is the new chicks. They will not be given the time to acclimate themselves to the up coming winter. And if some of you have been reading for awhile, you will remember that last swing season a storm sucked out and killed over 30 chicks from their nursery. I can not go through something even remotely close to that again. I spent that day soaked in mud, rain and tears as I tried to save the remaining flock.

So far we have lost 2 chicks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...