Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Monday, June 19, 2006

The organic Garden



This morning I must take the time to reflect on why I chose to have an organic garden. And not the USDA's version of organic. I am talking no stimulants, no pesticides, no herbicides. This weekend we took on the much needed weeding. My melon patch {actually it should be called a gourd patch, I have watermelon, lumina and big max pumpkin, butternut and spaghetti squash, zucchini and cantaloupe} has been invaded by tall tree like weeds. I need to find out what they are called {The enemy must have a name} Weeded the 28 tomato plants and found six volunteers, and two volunteer watermelon vines. We fenced and started to trellis the tomato plants, last year I was literally crawling on the ground to pick the fruit. My lettuce and cabbage have been surrounded by field grass and wheat. So today my hands are sore and gnarled. I fear the brown and green stains will never come off my hands.

We sweated in the 98f degree weather, was attacked by flying ants while bumblebees thumped us on the forehead. The sun found a way to burn us through our sun screen. Caterpillars have found their nirvana on our veggies, and I have grown us to the stink of squashing certain beetles with my fingers every morning. But on the bright side, we had fresh carrots, lettuce, radishes, cucumber and peas to eat with dinner. The corn looks strong, the radish have started to seed, the pok choi is delicious, and the peppers have flowered. It will be only a matter of time before we get to fully enjoy the benefits of our garden.

Now to figure out this mulch thing.

pictured above is a varity of fresh loose leaf lettuce

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...