Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Friday, October 24, 2014

Mutton Awesomeness

The last few days I have been offline. Instead spending some time with Husband. I won't be seeing him very much over the next month, or so.

I have been experimenting with food. I miss doing that. But with the windfall of lamb and mutton at my fingertips, something has to be done to keep everyone's palates happy.

Unfortunately I do not have photos.


However I do have two awesome mutton recipes. (For now)

My sheep were a bit over two years old. Ideally mutton is preferred over 3 years old. I don't like mutton.  It can be too tough and too flavorful. Yet my 2 year olds came out perfectly flavored. I know that the image above says Dorper, my sheep were Black Belly Barbadoes and Desert Paint mixes. The lack of laniolin tends to help keep the meat from being "greasy" flavored. Similar to Spring lamb (3 months of age) that you tend to find in American Supermarkets. 

Lemon Pepper Mutton

Leg cuts
Dried lemon zest
Butter
Pepper Jack cheese
Salt

I took about a 1 lbs leg cut, and sliced it into bite size pieces. Melt 1Tbs butter in a cast iron skillet. Over medium high heat, add the mutton cuts, around 2 tsp dried lemon zest, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir. The butter and the juices from the meat will rehydrate the zest. You can use fresh lemon zest if you want. Once the meat is about medium rare (takes only a few minutes) reduce heat and crumble the pepper jack cheese over top. Do not strain the juice. Mix together and allow the cheese to melt. Serve hot. 

(I served it with fried potatoes with lots of fresh onion and garlic, and scrambles eggs.)


Mutton Roast

Roast
Mushroom gravy

Very simple, place your roast into a pot or slow cooker, add gravy and allow to cook all day. I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans.

Homemade mushroom gravy

3 Tbls unsalted butter
6 oz fresh mushrooms (I actually used the dried wild mushrooms. Because the flavor intensifies once dried, I did not use as much)
Salt
Ground pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups beef broth (or stock)

Over a medium heat, melt butter until it foams. If using fresh mushrooms, add. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally, allowing the mushrooms to "brown" a bit. About 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stirring as you do so. Toast the flour for 3 minutes. Pour in the wine, scrapping up any bits stuck to the pot. Mix for 30 seconds. Slowly add the broth, using a whisk. 

If adding to a roast, stop now and pour into your slow cooker. (Add the dried mushrooms here if using)  You do not want it to thicken up just yet. While cooking, add a bit of wine or broth (whisking around the roast) to keep it from firming up too much.

If wanting to use as a gravy only, bring to a boil, stirring constantly for two minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream. Salt and pepper to taste. 


More recipes to come.


2 comments:

Judy said...

Yum, those recipes look good!

Don't know if any of your family likes highly seasoned food. But have you looked at Indian/Pakistani or Middle Eastern/Northern African cuisines for your lamb/mutton? They use pretty much the same spices but in different combinations. I would bet you have most of the spice already in your kitchen but most people would have never thought to use them that way.

Donna. W said...

Will you or your husband be deer-hunting?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...