Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Braiding onions

It's been a few years since I posted braided onions. Don't want info going stale, ya know.



Normally I wouldn't be pulling onions until next month, however we had a couple of puppies decide to play in the onion bed, so more than half my bulbs were uprooted.

First you want to lay your onions out to dry for a couple of days. Allowing them to crust up, and the skins to be nice and dry.

Once confident in that, time to braid. You will need some string or twine. 

Food the twine in half. Make a loop at the end,


Take the opposite end and run it through the loop.


Tighten.

With the next onion, place the top between the two strands of twine, wrap around one side, then the other, almost a figure 8.



Repeat until you have as many on your braid as you want. Tie off the end, make a loop, and hang in a dry, cool, darkish area.




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for posting this one. I tried last year (a different way) and really didn't have much luck once I picked up the braided length.
I didn't plant nearly enough onions this year. And somehow they all ended up being rather small. I'll try again this Fall, we'll see how it goes.
Sci

Phelan said...

I use to do it a different way. this one is faster and not so hard on the hands.

longtime wife said...

Gonna do that this week sometime as soon as they are dried.

FancyHorse said...

Years ago, I used to put them in a pantyhose leg, tying a knot between each one, and hang them in the basement. I don't wear pantyhose anymore, nor have a basement.

Phelan said...

I have done the panty hose one. They are so expensive anymore. But I did find cheap ones on a discount rack at a dollar store.

I use them to trellis melons.

Sandy Livesay said...

I'm going to borrow your technique next onion season and then hang them in a dark section of the kitchen.

johnnyb said...

Good post. May try that with some of my onions this year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...