I got a text earlier today with a request for step by step instruction for butchering a chicken. First, CONGRATS to my little brother for making this leap into simple living! His text informs me that I am too heavy on commentary, and that since I have been doing this for awhile I should update and just do the basic, no mess ups, post. Like there isn't any mistakes, bah! Go read a magazine little bro! So here you go, the simple, no mistakes, no babbling post on Chicken butchering (I do write from your requests)
1. get a chicken
2. get a stump
3. hammer two nails into stump, 1 inch apart in a V shape (people use different methods, this is mine)
4. boil a very large pot of water.
5. clean hatchet or sharp knife
6. grab chicken, lull it on its back, it will calm down
7. place chickens neck between the nails
8. gently pull its legs to stretch the neck slightly
9. cut head off. (some birds will violently thrash about, some don't)
10. hang bird by feet and allow it to bleed out. (until blood thickens up and almost stops dripping)
11. If plucking
11a. Dip bird in water, swish around for 30 seconds.
11b, pull off feathers
12. if skinning
12a.gut first, cut the skin under the ribs and between legs Y shape, guts removed, slit skin up the chest, peel skin off
13a. cut a Y shape above the vent. carefully.
13b. cut around the vent, removing the tail as you do this (gland in tail)
13c pull out guts and organs
14. find the crop in the birds upper chest (usually between the top of the ribs, does move)
14a. crop will be right under skin, if not skinning, carefully cut down the neck, exposing the meat. Find crop, and pull out (will need to detach it with you fingers breaking the membrane that holds it in place)
15, remove legs where the color changes (cutting at the joint, then breaking) Bend the foot down as far has capable, exposing as much tendon as possible before cutting it at an angle.
16. trim up the neck area to your liking
17. wash the bird inside and out
18. pat dry
19. place in fridge over night to rest. freeze next day or cook.
Text me if you need me little bro.