Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Just doin'

I am canning and dehydrating this morning. And have already told you about how to do those things.



So I really can't think what to tell you.

Yesterday I was watching a new program called Headbanger's Kitchen. (there is cussing in it) I am really enjoying it. On the side bar it had suggested video's. The Heavy Metal Farmer got my attention. It is an older video so many have already seen it. (both on youtube)

I came to the conclusion that maybe this blog could use a theme song. Will have to ask some of my musician friends for a nice Death Metal Homesteader theme song.

It is finally a nice day out today. This means garden work, mainly. Every two weeks, until the end of this month, I plant cooler veggies. And then plant them again in August for a fall crop.

Corn will be planted every two weeks from now until the end of June, for a rotating crop and not being overwhelmed with the amount of harvest coming in at one time.

Husband has started berming the house.

We had our first severe storm of the season, with nickel size hail and microburts.


First storm of 2011

We also got ourselves a pig. I think it is an American Yorkshire.

P4030031

Currently she is in a temp cage. And we are in process of building a tractor pen for her. I will let you know about that once it is finished. I tried looking up information for the pen, but only found a couple of pictures. Looks like this method of hog rearing isn't a popular one. But as we have no intentions of constantly retaining pigs, a tractor will work for us, and give the land a break between pigs.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

what a cutie!

SkippyMom said...

I am pretty sure the term "Death Metal Homesteader" has been copyrighted.

You better remove it.

::running away now:: bwahahahahaha

jules said...

what do you mean by 'cooler' vegetables? I'm just now getting into succession planting.

Phelan said...

lol @Skippy. You silly.

Jules, cooler weather veggies, things like cabbage, brussel sprouts, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, radishes, potatoes, onions, carrots, peas and so forth.

Lisa said...

HOLY CRAP! I want one! Well, I want both...a homesteading song (country will do) and a PIG! And Skippy? You are hilarious!

Phelan said...

We will see if we can get you a song Lisa. :D

Stephanie in AR said...

A long time ago I found info on pig tractors from UK farmers where they are called pig arks. But it has been awhile.

One farm family puts their little triangle house in the middle of a big rectangle with a fence dividing the rectangle in half. One year the door is open to one side the next year the pigs get the other side. After the pigs are butchered the family chickens get the area to clean up. I can cannot remember but it seems that after the chickens they planted a pasture blend so that it would be nice when the pigs returned. The areas was much larger than a normal pig pen (a pig pasture) but worked well for them due to space limits.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...