Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Monday, February 08, 2010

Snow Storm and snowboarders

We are waiting for the rest of our 8 inches or more snow to fall today. We are told to be ready for blizzard conditions.

Lightning and snow storms, it is a common occurrence here and hadn't even thought to mention it until I saw a post on the Popwell homestead about it. I did try to find a photo of the phenomenon, but alas, nothing. I will try my best to wax poetic and give the beauty of the storms that they deserve.

Imagine if you will, thick white and wet snow failing thickly about you, the wind has died down and you can see three feet in all directions from you. The ground rumbles under your feet, and you remember the feeling from the spring storms that love to visit you on a regular basis. Instinctively you raise your head to the heavens, the wetness of the snow bites at your exposed skin, and you squint to keep the snow from blurring your vision. In the corner of your eye you see a quick, bright light, and turn your head to see it better. Then you wait, you know it will be there again, you just have to have the patience. Then THERE! The snow doesn't part, it falls heavily around you, yet you see it clearly, the white blending and stretching the colors of pink and purples and a majestic blue. A brilliant sudden sunset that lasts only a fraction of a second. The ground rumbles under your feet once again, and you will never forget the first time you saw lightening in the snow storm.


And I will leave you with my brothers new xrays.



8 comments:

alrescate said...

Wow. That is an impressive looking scar. How is he feeling?

Phelan said...

depressed, sore, and stoned.

HermitJim said...

All I can say is " OUCH !!!"

APN said...

Wow, that hurts to look at it.

Anyway, I didnt know lightning in snow storms was common...I've only seen it once and it was a definite "WTF was that?"

Stephanie in AR said...

Pretty impressive for something that could heal itself at home (snark there)

Phelan said...

APN, here we will see it a couple times a season. It's what makes Kansas so special.

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

I pulled my radius off my wrist snowboarding. I have a metal plate there now. I still have my snow board and will get on it again.

Janet said...

Hi Phelan: It is not an uncommon occurence here, but certainly not every winter. The most impressive I ever saw was while driving in a heavy snowstorm in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Just as I reached the top of a tall hill there was a blinding flash as the street in front of me was struck.
Hope your brother is back in action soon - that is some break!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...