Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why are her kids in my yard, eating flowers?

Day Lilly's are edible, Tiger Lilly's are not!

You can save them for future use by drying. Soak them for 30 minutes in water to rehydrate for use. Day Lilly's taste a little like green beans when used fresh.


Sautéed Day lily Buds
Melt a tablespoon of butter in a heavy skillet over a medium heat. Add rinsed and trimmed buds, sauté until lightly browned. Add a few teaspoons water. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and 10 min. drain.

Day Lilly Blossoms stuffed with Chicken salad

6 open day Lilly blossoms
2 1/2 c. cooked chicken breast meat, chopped
25 seedless grapes, cut in quarters
1 slice green sweet onion, diced
1/2 stalk celery, diced
3/4 c. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
2 tbsp. fresh chopped French tarragon
6 borage flowers
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Wash day Lilly blossoms and remove stamen . Make sure there are no flaws or discoloration in flowers. Mix chicken, grapes, celery, onion, mayonnaise, parsley, tarragon and pepper together in bowl. Stuff chicken salad into blossoms and top each with a borage flower.


Spiced Pickled Day Lilly
2 qt Day lily buds, unopened freshly picked
3 c White vinegar
3/4 c Light brown sugar, packed
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Whole allspice
2 Two-inch sticks cinnamon,
10 To 12 whole cloves

Rinse and drain unopened day lily buds; remove any stem remnants. Place buds in to a saucepan. Add water so it barely covers buds. Bring to a quick boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Drain. Pack hot buds into 8 hot an sterile half-pint canning jars. Combine vinegar, brown sugar, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes. Pour pickling solution over buds, distributing spices equally. Seal, process in a hot water bath 10 minutes.

You can stuff the Day Lilly buds with cheese after the 20 minute simmer, and drain, to serve as an appetizer.

Now, you can officially call me bizarre.


11 comments:

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

Joint the club. Stephanie likes to mix up a batter, then fry the blooms as fritters. we also like the young sprouts fried(of course) like asparagus.They are really good.

David said...

Edible flowers are rocking my world! I have yet to eat a flower but now I will wait for my Day lillies with hungry anticipation.

Anonymous said...

I love to eat flowers/weeds out of my yard. =) Sad that my mother weeded the flower garden in my absence.
So one can eat any day lilies? I have orange and yellow.

Phelan said...

Tim, I like to fry squash blossoms.

David, with any new food stuff, eat sparingly. You could have an allergic reaction. hose people with severe pollen allergies might want to stay clear of eating many of the flowers.

Annette, yes you can eat day lilies. Just make sure they are day Lilly. Others can make you very ill.

Ok guys, talk to me. Got a flower in your yard you want to know if you can eat? Otherwise I might just start talking about eating bugs. ;)

Melissa ~ Mom to 6 said...

Okay, here's my partial list:

Butterfly bushes
Salvia
Cosmos
Zinnias
Marigolds
Lamb's Ears
Peony
Sedum

I have a bunch of stuff that I don't know what it is. Most of it I planted, but I bought it from the Master Gardener sale and it wasn't marked. Some of it was already here and I've not seen it before. As it blooms, I'll take photos and let you crack the mystery.

HermitJim said...

I'll have to say, this is a very interesting post! Very interesting indeed!

Thanks for sharing the info...

Ma said...

Thanks alot for these recipes! I'm always looking for ways to use what's in my yard!
Ma

April Bourgois said...

Thanks for more flower recipes. I think I've got the mother load of day lilies at this new farm of mine. Here's what I've got coming up:

peonea
iris (native, dutch & bog)

~Babychaser~ said...

We were curious about the tiger lilies and poked around a bit online. It looks like they are only poisonous to cats... but that they are fine for humans. Check out Wikipedia.

Thanks for the info though... I never think of eating flowers.

Phelan said...

Tiger Lillies can cause renal and kidney damage, and shouldn't be eaten, especially by children, and yes cats. However the bulb is edible. Check out K-State.

http://www.k-state.edu/media/WEB/News/NewsReleases/listpoisonous102102.html

Christina said...

I wish I had known this last year! We used to have those growing in our woods!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...