Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Forgive me, I lied

We weren't able to make it out to the farmstead because of the rain. We got 4 inches last night. Instead my mother and stepfather came over and while the men played welder, my mother and I went out chasing storm clouds.

Since I was driving I didn't get many photos. However I did get one of a shelf cloud when my mother yelled at me to stop the car. Ain't it a beauty?

Once we got home and my parents left, I started dinner and we had a local channel on. There where tornadoes popping up all over. And just as the weatherman told us to get to out shelters, the phone rang. It was good neighbor. He was stuck in the city and wanted us to go help out his mother. I sped over and got her out of the house. Good neighbor just called her and told her that one of us was on the way. She thought she was coming over to my house, I said, I thought you had a shelter. She did. I told her we had to go to her's, now. Just as we were climbing down, the rotating wall cloud passed overhead. I shut and locked the door, and we listened to the radio and the wind. Within a few seconds it was gone, and I gave her the all clear. We made it back into the house just as the back side of the storm hit. 70 mph winds and sheet of rain. We turned the news on and watched the weather for a few minutes. I left shortly after, telling her to call if she needed anything.

Good neighbors Jack Russel bit me for my efforts.


I got up this morning to find this

that would be my house and flood waters.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet cloud shot, though scary to be that close to tornados! What would you have done if you had not gotten to your neighbors?

Aggie said...

Not something I like waking up to either. Hope the rest of the season is mild for you.

Phelan said...

Annette, I have a shelter. And I wasn't worried about my safety. I was concerned about good neighbor's mother. We would have faired just fine, the rotating cloud didn't turn into a tornado until it was farther north of us.

Worn Out, me too.

Lisa said...

Yikes!! I have a shelter too and I wouldn't want to be without it!!

Art Blomquist said...

Whew! I am grateful one of the weather items we don't have to worry about is tornados. Hang in.

Carolyn Evans-Dean said...

How scary!I'm glad that you are okay.

Anita said...

Because we are still in the FEMA trailer, and we have so many pets, we put them in pet taxi's and loaded them up and headed west... we went to Garden City and turned around and came home, and by then the storms had passed Greensburg...
We are considering moving to Canon City Colorado -- I just can't take these tornado scares anymore. Ever since the big one here, just the chance of severe weather puts my stomach in knots...
Once we move into our house, which should be done this weekend! Yay! it may be different, even though they don't have the shelter put in yet...

Jessica said...

Times like that, I'm almost glad I live in earthquake country. Almost.

Judy T said...

I'm glad everything turned out well. That's a LOT of rain. I hope it dries up for you soon.
Judy

Billy said...

Glad to see you made it. Sorry to hear you didn't make it out to the farmstead.

Cheryl@Gingerbread Crafts said...

I think you can be forgiven for lying, you wouldn't have been there for the good neighbours mother if you had gone. I hope that the bite wasn't too bad, that's the trouble with trying to help someone out, their dogs don't always see it that way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...