Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Plenty of Firsts

I have been neglecting posts here due to one simple reason, I am afraid I might come off as whinning. 

I don't regret coming here, but the timing is making things very difficult. More on that later.

My winter garden is flourishing under the heavy frosts. Banshee Holler stays warmer than up top of the ridge. This has been a nice bonus. Though I know it will be cooler longer come spring and I will have to heat my soil to grow early crops. 

We had our first snow fall.


Not a whole lot as you can tell. Just enough to get our attention.

The mornings have been heavy on the frost. Which makes getting out of my driveway easier. It's when the rains come or the frost melts that I get to go muddin' just to get up top.


We dug out some river rock just so we could get a bit of traction. Some days even our 4 wheel drive isn't much help.

Last week Husband went deer hunting for the very first time. He came back 1 1/2 hours later with a small buck. He had mistakened it for a medium sized doe. Either way we have meat. One can only live off of tuna for so long. 

I really haven't met too many people here yet. We have been going to theis "biker" themed restaurant and bar on the weekends. Mainly for clientele. We can't really afford it, sticking with coffee for the most part.  But we need to try to wrangle some clients. Things here move so much slower than I am use to. And it has me frustrated at times. Husband fits in well. He is so laid make that it doesn't faze him much. And honestly, if things don't pick up soon. . . Well I am a bit frightened what might happen.


Right now we can not afford the line needed to finish the solar project. We still live by lamp light. It's trying at times, enjoyable at others. But frustrating when needed. 


I managed to gather chestnuts this weekend.  I will have a post dedicated to that soon.

The transition from Kansas to Kentucky hasn't been as smooth as one could hope for. Time will tell if this was turely the right desicion. 




10 comments:

longtime wife said...

I am so sorry it is not working out yet. But it will, I am sure of it. Keep us posted, and if there are clothing items you all need, let us know. I have some mens things that I could surly send to you all,.

Harry Flashman said...

It always takes longer to get things off the ground than a person thinks it will. I suppose it's not much comfort now, but some years down the road you will be all set and comfortable. And I swear, you will look back on these times and feel like you miss them a little.

FancyHorse said...

I hope you will get through this and come out on top! I hope business starts picking up soon, and that your homestead will be successful. Spring will surely be better - hang in there!

Practical Parsimony said...

Whining is okay. I like reading what is happening and seeing the pictures.

Unknown said...

Dad's favorite saying was Rome wasn't built overnight ... (were SE Kansas ppl now in the edge of Missouri) hang on my friend and do what you can whenever you can. Second guessing is a part of living "T"

West Tx at Heart said...

I can hear the struggle in your words and all I can say is hang in there. Everything ever worth doing in history was difficult. I wish I could make it easier on you.

Bob from Athens said...

You are not whining, just venting a few frustrations. Hang in there, it will get better. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and you have all the necessary skills to get there.

paulaj said...

Dont give up. This will be so worth it in the long run.

kymber said...

oh Phelan, gurl, the stories i could tell you about when we first got to the manor! everything that could go wrong in the first 6 months - DID! and then we killed ourselves to get the garden in and it was a dismal failure! i wish that we could have had 3 or 4 yrs to set the place up before moving here full-time, but it just wasn't in the cards! we have been working our butts off since we got here (3yrs ago on Dec 6) and we still have stairs that look like crap, a porch wrapped in plastic, a living room floor that needed replacing 5yrs BEFORE we moved here, an ever-slanting foundation and just forget about any nice, artistic touches! bahahahahahah! we thought that we would get so much done so much faster - but it is what it is. my advice - get off your back, plan for everything to take 3 times as long as you think it will and enjoy the ride. you made the right choice and you got what it takes to make it!

much love to you and yours, your friend,
kymber

Anonymous said...

Haven't heard from you in some time, hope everyone and everything is good. Sure do miss your posts.

Aunt D.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...