Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Rainy days

No more laundry talk! It is my bane, but other things are happening. 

Most of today was met by rain. I took Medium and Small to the movies. It's an older theater, smaller screen, speakers not distorted to the point the sound makes your eyeballs vibrate, and more than half the price, less, than back in Kansas. And newer movies to boot. Besides us, there was two other families in the theater. On a Saturday! I figured most people head to the larger towns with the updated theaters, which was fine by me. Why complain that the movie got a tad blurry at times when you could actually hear it, and no mad dash to get to your car before the other thousand people with the same thought. Truthfully I don't do that, I watch the credits and wait. Takes the same amount of time, and no stress. Boys asked if we could go back next week to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. And at $10 for three of us instead of almost $45, I said why not. Maybe I will see an increase in chores being done in a timely manner. 

Right now we are pretty sure our board games are buried in the portable garage. We have looked high and low. We have been stopping at all those different dollar stores in the area picking up cards games, coloring books, word searches and games we don't have. Our evenings are spent playing Jenga and listening to a 24 hour all comedy radio station. Right now however, they are putting a puzzle together. It sounds like good quality family time until the bickering, and the portended wrestling match begins. Mommy doesn't like those.

Medium and Small have taken up hiking. They bring their pups and a machete, in case of bears of course. Although Small suddenly has taken an interest in badgers. Makes me wonder what exactly they have found out there.

I am homesick for Kansas. There is one reason that I will dedicate an entire post to. But for now, the lack of anything familiar has been bothering me a bit. Most the people I meet seem to want to make me get back into Dodge (city, Kansas). Kentucky has no redeeming qualities to these people. They hate it here, don't understand why I would come here, yet they themselves won't leave. My politeness seems to almost disgusts a lot of them. I'll get use to it. But I have informed my boys to remember where they are from, and no matter how rude people may get, all ways be polite and say it with a smile. I think they are doing it more lately because they see the uncomfortableness that my courtesy puts others in. And a way to annoy someone is a big bonus for my boys. 

I have to bite my lip though. Something that doesn't come very easy to me. I am use to saying what I want, to whom I deem requires to hear it. Husband keeps me in check often, my own Jimminy Cricket. Since we are starting a business with no roots in this community, I have to keep my tongue in check. Once I am crowned Queen however. . . 

We signed a lease on a shop. Husband has named it Sasquatch Cycle Service. The locals I have chatted up about it seem to approve of the name. We take procession of the building on Oct. 1st. I will try not to tie you with motorcycle chatter.

I confess, I ramble on rainy days. I also catch up on some reading. I have a few books to review shortly. I am behind on that. 

Here's the fog sinking into the holler in the morning.


10 comments:

carol anne said...

I live exactly 19 miles from my hometown. I've lived here almost 16 years now and I still get homesick for the familiar. Maybe once spring rolls around and you can get started on a new garden and a new routine you'll feel more at home. I admire your bravery and wish you well on this new beginning.

Don't let the rude cause you to be rude they are not worth changing your ways for. And can you come here and teach our local business owners that you are supposed to be nice to your customers? We just stopped patronizing a local pizza shop because the owner snapped at me when I asked why they didn't have a delivery driver on duty for the second week in a row.

Judy said...

When we moved to Michigan I was appalled at the rudeness I was exposed to. I didn't realize how polite we Kansans are. And calling-them-as-you-see-them is not the same as rudeness.

The other shocker was how well-educated and cosmopolitan the average Kansan is. We really are not a bunch of hicks or rubes even if the vast majority of us are one generation or less from having to clean our boots before coming in the house.

I will always be proud to be a Kansan no matter where I live.

Anonymous said...

If you live there till you're 100 years old, you will always be "the new person". Not fair, but that is how it is there. My family lived in Kentucky for 8 generations and I left and now I am a "outsider". Don't take it personal. the rat

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We are in SW VA and have had rain and mist for a couple days now. I rest up on days like this. I hope your business does good, it won't mater if you are new if they need you to do work.

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Ah Phelan....I'm sorry to hear that your area of the Bluegrass is not so sweet. Even sorrier to say I've experienced the same issue worldwide, so try not to take it personally.

I'm the weirdo here because I don't "bleed Blue" (if you haven't heard it yet, wait for basketball season...they suck at football) and I've lived in KY for most of my life.

Can't advise on how to help with the homesick...the only time I ever had that issue was the first tour in Germany right before we came back and I was 5mths preggo...even then I'm pretty sure it was just hormones.

Sandy Livesay said...

I have to second what Carol Anne stated regarding rude people. Rude people are every where, just continue being yourself. Things will get better.

How are things go for you regarding your floor?

Bulldog Man and I are happy to hear the motorcycle shop will be starting Oct 1st. Great name too!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you one bit for being homesick. You've made a huge change, to a place with nothing familiar, not to mention a heck of a lot of hard work. Hang in there, hope the hubby gets back soon so you can lean on him a bit.

Practical Parsimony said...

I have lived more than half my life in this town, and I am still an outsider. We moved here in 1974 when I was 28. I am now 67 and still am "new" because generations of my family don't live here. Plus, even other "outsiders" have family, making them a bit more acceptable. They say, "You don't sound like you are from around here" when I speak. I silently am thankful I was not reared to speak like some of them do.

kath said...

Homesick is normal. You haven't been gone that long. The funny thing is that every time you do go back, it feels less and less like home. Old friends move out, new businesses move in, kids grow up and you don't have as much in common with people as you used to. When I first left my hometown, I pretty much knew everyone in the town. When I go back now, I know almost no one.
As far as rudeness goes, it's everywhere. I live in NYS. New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude, but I've found that real NYers - the native NYers - are the kindest and most polite people you will meet. The rude ones are pretty much all outsiders who feel that they're in NY so they can be as nasty as they want. Drives me crazy.

Kellie from Indiana said...

I did hear quite a bit that in KY they wont fully accept you till youve lived there ten years. My mom never had that problem however, but she is a chatty kathy, and has no strong opinions. Be very glad you didnt move further north, as I live 40 mins from chicago and rude is really rude, no matter new or old ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...