Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Friday, January 23, 2009

I'll Huff, and I'll Puff, and I'll Blow Your House Down!

And all together now,

NOT BY THE HAIRS OF MY CHINNY CHIN CHIN!

here pig

This is your one and only warning about Monday's post. We shall be discussing the art of pig butchering.

But first some fun stuff. PLEASE share with me your favorite pork recipes, everything from homemade sausage to pig tongue luffa. If you like it,and it doesn't have to be edible (soap, etc) write it down. Either here in comments or a post of your own, just make sure you've told me you got a post out there for me. Even your best curing recipes.

I do have a bunch of pork recipes, but with 200 lbs of pig soon to be sitting in my freezer, I don't want all the same ol stand by's.

Also I think I finally snapped yesterday and am now officially insane. My ladies are harmonizing their moos.

10 comments:

Gail said...

The state of insanity has a large population.

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Looks like his house (and the rest of him!) didn't make it. :) LOL I am making pulled BBQ pork this week with homemade buns. Store bought pork butt though. I do enjoy your How-To butchering posts...some day I hope we can give it a whirl.

Anonymous said...

I love the state of insanity. Low taxes!! =P My BF's step dad made the best pork sausage - just amazing!! I will get the recipe from him this afternoon and post it later today.
Cannot wait for tomorrow's read!

HermitJim said...

My favorite pork recipe ever was a hand rubbed, sugar cured ham my ex-FIL and I smoked in his smoke house. Mn...that was some good eating!!

BTW, in East Texas hog hunting is nearly as big as deer hunting cause there is soooo much meat on a big wild hog!

Looking forward to the post!

Celeste said...

Oink Oink. LOL

Irma said...

I had a crazy ass awful day of previously unimagined levels of suck-itude. That photo just made everything better.

Disclaimer: I know that harvesting an animal is a gift and we should appreciate that an animal has given us its life so that we may nourish our own. But damn I laughed.

white_lilly said...

Can't wait! We have just consumed and bartered with 120kgs of pork. We have had it BBQ,oven roasted,spit roasted, fried, marinated, skewed, braised, stuffed, stewed, sweet & soured but I thinked we made a pig tongue luffa so I will be watching :)

Sue

Judy T said...

We love 'Magic Dust' on pork! It sounds kind of illegal but it is really good. You can use it as a dry rub for ribs or just a little on a slow cooked roast or chicken. Yum. It keeps indefinitely once mixed.

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt (I used sea salt)
1/2 cup sugar
2 T dry mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 T black pepper, ground
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 T cayenne

You can increase the cayenne or black pepper if you like it hotter.

Word to the wise: a little goes a long way. Our first attempt with this as a dry rub was almost so spicy to be inedible.

Anonymous said...

The picture makes it look like the pig is burrowed a tunnel and only his head has popped out so far!!!

April Bourgois said...

Oh, you've got to make posole! I'll put up a recipe over on the cat blog as I'm behind on getting recipes up anyway. Give me a day to do it though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...