Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Monday, June 30, 2008

I'm a Rock Star!

Or at least felt like one.

Friday afternoon my mother picked me up and we drove the 2 1/2 hours to Wamego, Kansas. I have never been there before, let alone heard of it. Whirled was having her Fiber Tasting, at her new store, Settler's Farm. The trip there was gorgeous. We went through the Flint hills, everything so green.

The town itself is tucked back in a valley. Small town with an Oz Museum! Mom and I agreed, we should have left earlier in the day to have time to roam around this town.

We drove straight past the shop, and had to turn around. There seems to be a church on every corner. We walked into the shop, and one woman was standing talking to a customer, another came out from the back. "Are you Whirled?" Yes, she replied staring at me. "I'm Phelan." She still looked at me confused. "A Homesteading Neophyte" this is where I began to feel like a rock star. Oh oh! She shook my hand and looked over at the other woman and asked her if she read my blog. The woman said no and Whirled said that she should. Apparently I have another reader in the area, because Whirled mentioned that she would be disappointed that she missed me.

It was a great visit. I mentioned that my mother wanted to learn how to spin. Whirled took time to show her how it is done. We got pictures on my mother's camera. We bought fiber from Whirled's Daisy, and some already spun wool. I bought combs for my wool. My mother is going to purchase a spinning wheel from her. And when she starts classes, we plan on heading back up that way.

Before we left, I got another rock star moment, when pictures where taken. Then a long drive home.

It was a great day. I loved meeting Whirled, and getting out of my house.

4 comments:

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

irrelevant my ass...

Country Girl said...

Sounds like a fun day with your Mom!
I would love to learn more about that too. I just took out a children's learn to knit book out of the library...have to start somewhere's!
~Kim

Anita said...

30 miles north of Wamego is a little town called Onaga - We used to live there!
Sounds like you had a great day!!

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Wamego is a neat town! Glad you enjoyed it... and shared!

I really enjoy my Google Alert for Blogs on “Kansas Flint Hills!”
Yours came up today!

Our 22 county Flint Hills Tourism Coalition, Inc. promotes visits to the Kansas Flint Hills – the website is: http://www.kansasflinthills.travel/

Best wishes!
Dr. Bill ;-)
Personal Blog: http://flinthillsofkansas.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...