Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Winter Madness

3+ inches of snow, howling winds, and a wind chill below 0F, causes one to stay deep inside of their home. Venturing out for frostbite only when the animals must be fed. Winter has now lasted too long. The restlessness of the homesteader throws its hissy fit, and you don't know what to do. I have already fantasized about my garden, and that gets boring if you can no longer put a little kink, I mean element into the mix. I have tried to sew, my braided rug looks like a bowl, and I have baked every single bread and dessert I know, twice.

Now is the time you start making other plans. Plans to take over the world Pinky! Did I say that out loud? Luckily for me, my husband is home so that my talking to myself doesn’t seem all that strange as anything that I might mutter will be greeted with a nod or an uhhuh.

What plans can my strange little mind form? What devious plot will birth in my brain? It doesn’t help that my good neighbor’s mother brought over some heritage seeds. She gave me some Cherry tomatoes, Marglobe, yellow, beefsteak, Rutgers, and oxheart. Oh my garden seduced mind quivers in joy! And to send me over the edge, to help complete my garden fetish, she gives us Back to Basics, by Readers Digest. I am not sure I can contain the excitement. A new book in the house is like another hit of Primo. Though I must say that I caught my husband in bed last night, the blankets pulled up, the door shut, giggling in glee as he palmed the RD book. As I burst through the door, he hid the book as though it contain naughty photos. What are you doing? He wouldn’t tell me, but I caught a glimpse of the book. That’s mine! I screamed and dove for him. I am not strong enough, he easily pinned me and the torture of tickling began. Not Fair! The book is mine! I squealed. “You can look at it after me.” ah, but that wouldn’t work. How about we look at it together? I asked sweetly, innocently. "No." Ack, I have to wait. Huff...I laid down in bed next to him, trying to peek at the pages in a way that he wouldn’t notice.

I didn’t get to concoct any plans last night. But this morning, this morning the book is all mine! MINE I say!

5 comments:

Robbyn said...

lol!!

that's nearly what happened last night when my daughter brought home a new issue of a homesteading magazine and put it in the table right between my husband and me...it's like throwing chum to the sharks, ha!! Stay warm :)

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

"Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Yeah Brain, but me and Pippi Longstocking? What would the children look like?"

Nice.

Anonymous said...

Don't tell me you're out of things to read!

Jederah said...

Oh my the Back to Basics book of doom!!!! Mwahahahah. Yeah I checked it out at the library and had to recheck it out cuz of Bill. So I bought it for him in almost perfect condition ala 1970 as an early Yule present. Is it not one of the best books ever? I think he has hidden it from me. I feel your pain on boredom. I posted for people to come up with stuff for me to do.

Phelan said...

Robbyn, who won?

Tim, But where are we going to find rubber pants and wipped cream at this time of night?

alrescate, oh no! Not by a long shot. The mags you sent are delicate and plentiful, so we haven't been fight over them.

Stephanie, oh yes, we are loving it. Ours is the 1970's version as well. And on the bordem thing, todays' post brings back my choose your homesteader's adventure series. It's a great way to try new things I have discovered.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...