Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Monday, August 14, 2006

Eggs, potatoes and strawberries

I didn't get as much done this weekend as I would have liked. Something ate all 12 of the eggs that I was allowing the banny hen to hatch out. I didn’t find any shells, so I don't think the chickens are egg eating. We do have black snakes in the area, so I will blame it on them, or skunks, or racoons. One good thing that has come out of this, is that they are no longer laying in the barn and have gone back into the coop. I have had a hard time getting every one back in there at night. Our goats like the chicken scratch, and will bully their way into the coop, scaring off the hens. So my hens are pretty much free ranged. It never surprises me much when I find one {hen} sans head. what surprises me is the fact that a skunk would go after them, it's not winter and there is plenty of prey around. I just wish they would eat the whole bird instead of just their heads. {no, I will not post a picture of it}

I did manage to can 4 pints of baby potatoes. Rolly pollies had gotten to some of them under the lazy bed. People hate certain insects because of their potential harm, or over all creepiness. I don't mind insect, they do many things to help out in the garden and inside the home, But rolly pollies, I am starting to despise them. {yes dad, even enough to stop playing house with them}
I also made some strawberry muffins with some of my frozen strawberries. 28 muffins to be exact. What wasn't eaten last night, was frozen for later. Today I had to bake some more bread items with my veggies.

Cheryl has a recipe up for a Whipped Ricotta, that I am looking forward to making next spring. I was going to do it with my frozen ones, but decided to wait.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...