Donate Now!

Donate Now!
Buy a membership or koozies to help!

Saturday, February 05, 2011

I love it so much I must blog about it

I got this popcorn maker from Husband this past Christmas. I have never been so thrilled with making popcorn. I know, I'm a bit off, but this thing rocks. My air poppers break down or spit hot unpopped kernels at me, microwave doesn't always get everything popped and I never seem to have brown paper bags to do it in, and the cast iron it too heavy for Small to use it for more than a few moments.

Granted this thing squeaks, gears on gears tend to do that. And holding the handle as you crank is a bit awkward, however, you can pop 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup of kernels. And with a large boy ratio in the house that is a necessity! For those of you oil-phobic, sorry but you do have to use oil in it, only 2 tablespoons. And it pops all the kernels without burning! Not only that but it only takes 2 minutes to do so. It even fully popped 2 year old stale popcorn (art project). That impressed me.

Since we grow our own, this thing makes actually using up our corn so much easier. Sorry chickens, we seem to be eating more popcorn lately. ok, now this is starting to sound like a very cheap infomercial. If you act now. . .

Now that I got your attention, do me favor and hop over to Old Lightning, Coffee with the hermit or Frugal Queen. Just to say hi or spy on them, which ever you prefer. Those three send so many people my way it's obscene, so I thought I would repay them the favor. They each have different yet wonderful blogs. Be it you are into survival, politics, going on's or saving money one of these are for you.

13 comments:

DK said...

I have that same problem with air poppers. I've always been afraid I'd start a fire or spill stuff everywhere popping on the stovetop and when he found out, my fiance told me to use his air popper instead (I always burn microwaved popcorn for some reason) since it was apparently much safer than the stovetop. Yeah, right. I didn't know until that day that a piece of unpopped corn could get hot enough to give me a really bad 2nd degree burn in the time it takes to just bounce off my hand. And I wasn't even standing next to it, either. Now I plug in the popper and step to the far side of the kitchen until it stops popping things entirely before I walk over to it and unplug it again.

Tess Pennington said...

Phelan,

It can be used for just popping corn. We use ours to roast coffee beans and it works great!

Have a great weekend.

Phelan said...

Glad to know I am not alone DK.

Tess, thanks! I didn't even think about roasting in it.

HermitJim said...

I just started using my hot air popper! Never had one before, and I have to admit, I like it a lot!

I do miss the buttery flavor that comes with microwave corn, but no oil is probably better for me anyway!

Always have been interested in those Amish type poppers with a crank! Nice to know they work!

BTW, thanks for the plug!

Frugal Queen said...

I feel like Thelma Flintstone, I just pop corn in a saucepan with the lid on,and I always burn some and some doesn't pop. That looks very swish. Thanks for mentioning my blogs, Froogs xxx

SkippyMom said...

Neat. I want one. [Like I don't have enough gadgets already!] We love popcorn and I love fresh popped. Yum.

Sharon said...

My hubby found one of these at the local thrift store and has fallen in love with popcorn all over again!

To be honest, it's not my favorite snack, but perhaps that will change when we grow our own.

Wendy said...

I have been looking at those popcorn poppers for a while and wondering if they were any good. Most of the outdoor stores up here have them. Perhaps, I'll give it a try ;).

Representative said...

I love my whirley pop! I blogged about mine, too. LOL We did away with our microwave after we got ours. We barely used it for years (many reasons), and the only reason we kept one at all was to make popcorn. It was always the best, but the whirley pop makes it better. It's like theater popcorn. :) Try it with a little sprinkle of red pepper flakes.

I found mine in a thrift store, intended to put it in the camp box, but once we tried it it never got that far. You can buy them online at whirley pop, and Lehman's sells a stainless steel one.

CatHerder said...

OMG how fantastic is that...we bought one of those, with the popcorn fixins about 15 or 20 years ago for friends for christmas..then we decided not to give it to them, we thought it looked 'cheap' so we kept it....can i tell you my husband has got a million miles out of that thing its fantastic..and WOULD HAVE been one hell of a gift

Cory said...

We got a Whirly Pop for Christmas a couple of years ago and instantly converted to evangelizing the joys of ownership. It is SO much better than any other kind of popcorn. Haven't had a microwave bag in the house since. Enjoy!

Jennifer said...

I love popcorn, just had some the other night. Wish I had a popcorn popper though. I always seem to burn the microwave popcorn!

PS. You are in KS aren't you? You might be interested in the new proposed "goat check-off" that will put a fee on every goat sold in KS. I wrote about it on my blog, just trying to get the word out.

Phelan said...

Jennifer, thanks for the heads up. I sold off all my goats, but will pass the info on.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...